Friday, May 18, 2018

{Mixed Media Tutorial} An Inspired Tag by Monika


Hello Crafty Friends! Do you know that feeling when an idea just doesn't work out? Rather than putting a failed attempt of mine in the bin, I thought I'd show you how it can be quite easily turned into something beautiful like this tag.



I started off with this piece of stamping and doodling, my failed attempt at creating a winged heart. It had been stamped with Versafine and coloured with brush markers on smooth card.


I decided to cut a tag from it, which I started to like a bit more. I must mention, I did not have a plan and simply allowed the process to flow.


I tried adding a couple more feathers in turquoise before changing direction and masking the large heart and spritzing the tag with Forest Green and Ocean Blue Artiste Spritzing Ink to bring the heart into the foreground and push everything else into the background. The left over ink on my craft mat got mopped up with another piece of white card for later use.


A good question to ask yourself when going along is: What do I like about my creation? Simply bring what you like into the foreground. As for the rest, it can simply be toned down and made part of the background or covered up completely.

Next I looked for a stencil and paste or paint to cover some of the tag. I used the Shutters Stencil and silver acrylic effect paste, masked off the heart and securely attached the stencil to my tag before applying the paste. As you can see, the feathers and the old sentiment have almost disappeared.


I picked up the Art Marks set and black Versafine ink, added a bit of stamping to the tag and stamped my sentiment on a strip from the card used to mop my craft mat.


Wanting to use something with wings, I die-cut the lacy one of the Flutter Zen 2 Layering Dies from the same piece of card and attached it and the sentiment to my tag.


Some fibers finished my tag off beautifully. What do you think?


I hope you feel inspired to give one of your 'not turned out well' projects a make-over and share it with us either in our Things With Wings Mixed Media Challenge, make sure to use at least one stencil, or in our Never Ending Anything Goes Challenge, if you used at least one STAMPlorations product.


That's it from me for today. Have a lovely week!
hugs
Monika xxx


 STAMPlorations Products Used:

          


If you want to get an extra 20% off the shop prices, use my personal discount code STAMPGIRLMONIKA at check out. I would really love you using it. Thanks so much!

3 comments:

  1. I think you have made a wonderful tag - never throw anything away that you don't like. as it can still turn into something lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it and thank you for sharing your process!

    ReplyDelete

Spammers have been in full force lately so I had to turn comment moderation on. We love hearing from fellow crafters (not spammers), so your comment will be approved as soon as possible. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us :o)